photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, December 6, 2010

The La Dolce Vita Style Formula

domino klj4

{Domino}

Yesterday, Nicole from Sketch 42 created a clever post in which she defined her design aesthetic through a small series of images. She invited some bloggers to do the same and I’ve decided to join in on the fun. I have never been able to define my style in one or two words. Sometimes, I think it might be a little eclectic because I like to mix modern with vintage, masculine with feminine, but the furnishings, colors, and details that I love veer more towards classic and tailored than truly eclectic and irreverent. Help me out, guys! What would you call my style?

 

I love classic pieces and shapes but shy away from the overtly traditional.

jk capri

{JK Capri Hotel Designed by Michele Bonan}

 

I find the most beautiful spaces are layered with colors, patterns, and items from more than one period of design or style:

amanda nisbet3

{Amanda Nisbet}

laurann7

{Lonny}

 

I love spaces that are glamorous and feminine…

renovation style

{Renovation Style}

dining room elle decor april 2010 - Copy

{ELLE DÉCOR}

 

…yet I absolutely love perfectly tailored, edited rooms with a masculine twist.

ron marvin

{Ron Marvin}

kitchen tommy smythe2

{Tommy Smythe}

13 comments:

Squeak said...

Oh, your style is exactly like mine - it has a basis in tradition, but incorporates modern and organic elements, interesting layers, items with patina, etc.! How to describe it? Maybe young traditional?

Joie de Viv said...

I think Squeak's definition is great! Young Traditional! All your images are quite classical in shape and form, but contemporary with colors and finishes and small details. The Domino book had an exercise like this - to define your style in two words. I'm constantly at battle to define mine, especially when I have to take into account what my DH would or wouldn't put up with.

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like young traditional, too, or eclectic traditional. Tradlectic?!

Unknown said...

This is my style too with some glamour thrown in the mix for sparkle. I am not colorful though. I love white, cream, grey, black and yellow. It would be nice to take a test to tell what I really am. Ethan Allen used to have a good one on their website...don't know if it is still there. The only thing i know for sure about my style is that I don't know friends that have the same taste as me. Especially here in Houston the Tuscany land!
xoxo,
Sandee

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

I like your take on the "style formula" idea! I also really like some (or a lot) masculine in my design, and I sometimes feel most bloggers don't...

Francine Gardner said...

Great post. You really did define your style. I find it one of the most difficult task when asked what is my style and have to use words to describe it.

Hello Lover... said...

Love these all - it really is hard to narrow your style down to one in particular.

Sketch42 said...

We both lean toward the masculine, traditional and tailored but with femininity thrown in... I like young traditional, new traditional, edgy traditional... they all work for me!

Thanks for joining in, this was fun!

quintessence said...

Ow about modern classic? That's how I frequently describe my style which is similar to yours - perhaps a little less feminine and a tad more industrial but still in the same vein. Fun post!

LiveLikeYou said...

You would be a great shelter magazine editor Paloma. Perhaps next?

Unknown said...

LiveLikeYou, that is so sweet! Funny you should say that because I have founded a new digital mag that premieres next month! www.highglossmagazine.com

Easy and Elegant Life said...

I have no clue what you'd call our mishmash. I'm afraid a decorator friend pales upon crossing the threshold of the manse. That said, I know my aesthetic. When a designer asked me to send a creative brief, the CD ran to 50+ images, and a 100 word list. I like to think that I'm very modern, in an old-fashioned way.

Your style is very "new traditional" or "modern classic." Sort of like naming paint colours isn't it? fun.

Karena said...

Paloma I would call your style Classic Elegance with a modern take!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena